top of page

Federal Workers Compensation ​

If you are a federal employee who has been injured on the job you are entitled to medical treatment for your injury and to money benefits to compensate you.  Unfortunately, the Department of Labor does not make it easy for you to pursue your benefits.  In addition, the agency that employs may give you wrong information about pursuing your benefits.


            If you are injured the first thing you need to do is report your injury.  Notice of an injury should be given within 30 days.  This means filling out a CA-1 or CA-2 form. Of course, the sooner the better.  Even if you did not give notice within 30 days this does not automatically bar you from filing a claim.  Sometimes an employee is not aware of the severity of the injury or that it is related to work until a later point in time.  Your employer may tell you that you cannot pursue your claim because you did not give timely notice.  Do not take their word for it until you consult us.


            For the first 45 days you will receive continuation of pay.  That is, your employer still pays you even though you are out on disability.  This is not sick pay.  Make sure your sick pay has not been deducted or used.  After the 45 days then you receive workers’ compensation pay through the Department of Labor Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP).  You need to fill out the CA-7 form to receive the workers’ compensation pay.


            You should receive a doctor to treat your condition.  You have the right to select the doctor who treats you.  The problem is that many doctors will not take workers’ compensation.  It is important that you are guided to the right specialist who treat workers’ compensation patients and understand the requirements of OWCP.  If the doctor does not fill out the OWCP forms in the proper manner this can cause significant difficulties and delays in getting your benefits.


            You may be told that you do not need an attorney for your claim.  You may not, but you should at least consult an attorney to make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.  We will tell you if your claim is being handled correctly.  We will let you know if the doctors the OWCP has sent you to are the best for your condition or whether you should look to change doctors.  We will let you know if you are entitled to a scheduled award.  You can receive a scheduled award if you receive a permanent impairment for certain injuries.  We have seen many cases where a scheduled award should have been paid, but was not.  If you are unable to return to work we will help you pursue your disability and retirement benefits.  And finally, if you need to pursue your benefits through litigation we will represent to help you get what you are entitled to under the federal law.


            There are very few lawyers who specialize in federal workers’ compensation claims.  At DeCiccio & Johnson we represent federal employees who need assistance in pursuing their workers’ compensation benefits.

bottom of page